I made these Vegan Lemon Raspberry Muffins four times before I had a recipe that was perfect. Four times! AJ didn’t mind at all because muffins are one of his favorite things ever, right up there with ice cream and beer. I think he could have just those three things and survive quite happily for about a week. I didn’t mind having a constant supply of muffins for a few weeks – that was great. But I get so tired of cooking the same thing over and over again. It loses its luster!
But for this recipe, I did it. I did it because the flavors were so darn good, and I knew there was an amazing recipe in there. And you’re in luck, because here it is.
I really wish I could send a pan of these muffins down to my parents this week. My dad just had his knee replaced and the poor guy is bored out of his brains just sitting at home watching TV. My dad is not the type to sit around and watch TV all day, so it’s been pretty torturous for him.
I was fortunately able to go down this weekend and visit, during which I made a blueberry pie for him to enjoy. I also got to hang out with my mom, sister, and one of my best friends, which was really great. We made some tasty pizzas, pasta and other things, but I feel like my dad would particularly love these muffins. (Mom, I think it’s time to go get a muffin pan.)
These muffins are super tender and – did I mention the flavor? Fresh raspberries, bright lemon… they are my favorite muffin right now. I did live land learn that the raspberries have to be cut in half before baking. Otherwise you end up with a giant hole where the big uncooked fruit used to be, and the cooked fruit no longer fills this hole.
The issue really comes to head when you try to remove the muffins from the pan and they just collapse due to the holes. So I know it’s annoying, but cut your raspberries in half first.
These are particularly good served warm straight from the oven, but reheating for 15 seconds in a icrowave also does the trick. With a pat of (vegan) butter on there, you’ll be eating these for breakfast every day until they’re gone. And if you’re household is anything like ours (i.e. it houses a very hungry man), then they definitely won’t last long.
Vegan Lemon Raspberry Muffins
This vegan raspberry lemon muffin recipe is super easy, healthy, and delicious.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 2/3 cup sugar
- zest of 1 medium-large lemon
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 5 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup AP flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup raspberries, halved
- Heat your oven to 400°F and grease a muffin tin.
- Mix the flax seed and water in a small bowl, then set aside.
- Combine the flours, oats, and remaining dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix until evenly distributed.
- Combine the sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl (preferably that of a stand mixer) and whisk vigorously for about 2 minutes, until fluffy. Add the almond milk, lemon juice, vanilla, and flax mixture, then whisk to combine.
- Add the melted coconut oil to the sugar/lemon mixture and whisk well. Next, add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Gently fold the raspberries into the batter.
- Distribute the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups – they should be about 3/4 full (or maybe a bit more).
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until nice and golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a cooling rack and right the muffins with your hands (with the fragile berries, I’ve found this to be the best technique). Enjoy!