Spicy Mushroom & Camembert Sandwiches
These portobello mushrooms sandwiches have a spicy chile garlic and soy sauce, creamy camembert, and roasted red bell pepper. You’ll make them again and again!
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 sandwiches
for the sauce:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp chili garlic sauce*
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
for the sandwiches:
- 5 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper*
- ? lb camembert cheese
- 2 cups baby kale leaves
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread (make sure it’s enough for 4 sandwiches)
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and mix together with a small whisk or fork.
- Rinse the portobello mushrooms, then use a spoon to gently remove the gills. Slice into 1/2″ slices and place in a bowl. Add about 2/3 of the sauce to the mushrooms and use a spoon to gently toss so that they are evenly covered. Let sit for about 30 minutes while you roast the bell peppers.
- Turn your oven to broil and place the bell pepper about 1″ away from the broiler. Cook, turning every couple minutes, until blackened in spots all over. Broilers really vary, so the time this takes will also vary. Mine took about 10 minutes total, but keep a close eye on yours.
- When the bell pepper is done cooking, transfer it to a cutting board and let cool. Once you are able to handle it, cut off the top and drain the liquid and remove the seeds. Peel off the skin as best you can, then slice into 1/4″ strips.
- While the pepper is cooling, turn the oven to 350ºF. Grease a baking sheet, then spread the marinated mushrooms out evenly on the sheet. Cook for about 25-30 minutes, tossing halfway through, until soft. Remove from the oven but leave the oven on.
- While the mushrooms cook, slice the ciabatta bread into 4 sections, then cut each section in half through the middle to make the sandwich bread.
- Spread half of the breads (one per sandwich) with some of the camembert cheese, then place in the 350ºF oven on a baking sheet for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the bread is a bit toasty.
- Finally, put it all together. Brush the non-cheesed bread pieces with the leftover spicy sauce, then pile the kale, mushrooms, and bell pepper on top of the cheesy bread and make your sandwich. Eat immediately.
– If you are particularly sensitive to spicy food, decrease the chili garlic paste to 1 Tbsp.
– You can also use canned red bell pepper slices.