Well hello there! Happy Monday. It is Monday, right? We had a really great weekend, and I talked all about it here, on my new weekly half-marathon training recap. Go check it out, and share your training stories with me, please!
You guys are in such a treat for these soyrizo taco salads. They are so so easy and SO SO delicious. I can’t even deal! We don’t eat soyrizo very often because it’s not all that healthy for you, but it sure is tasty. The first time we tried it we were super impressed. We discovered that regular chorizo does not taste like chorizo because of the meat, but rather because of the spices! And soyrizo is pretty dead on in terms of flavor. We love it.
To make these, you sautee some onions and bell pepper, add garlic and jalapeno, then stir in the soyrizo and a can of tomatoes. Then you let it warm up and ta-da! You’re done. So super easy. You pile it on top of a handful of smashed chips and some lettuce, then finish it off with the oh-so-necessary salsa and cilantro. If you like sour cream and cheese (even vegan versions!) go ahead and add them, too. And then you shovel.
I am a little tiny bit sad because I made this taco salad on the same day that I made the ahhhmazing Vegan Jalapeno Poppers, and I definitely intended to put some of those in this here salad. But I totally forgot, and didn’t remember until I was done with the photos. But then I realized that most people probably wouldn’t want to make them both on the same day, so I left them out. However. If you feel like making this meal super extra rad, then go ahead and throw some of those babies in. It will be fantastic, I promise.
It takes a minute to get the hang of eating these because you have to figure out how to get a chip on your fork without just crushing it, but I have faith in you. It just takes a bit of scooping while stabbing, which isn’t really all that difficult. And after the the first bite, you will totally forget about that minor difficulty because, come on, it’s a soyrizo taco salad! You know you’ll love it.
Soyrizo Taco Salad (v, gf*)
This vegan soyrizo taco salad is the perfect blend of spicy, flavorful soyrizo mixed with black beans and tortilla chips. Perfect for a quick weeknight meal, but delicious enough to make for guests!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 package (12 oz) soyrizo, gluten free if necessary*
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 can black beans
- chopped romaine lettuce
- tortilla chips
- cilantro, chopped
- sour cream, optional
- cheese, or vegan cheezy shreds, optional
- Place the beans with their liquid in a small pot on the stove. Heat over medium-low heat until boiling.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown. Mix in the garlic and jalapeno and cook for another 30 seconds or so, until fragrant.
- Add the soyrizo and the can of tomatoes and mix well. Stir in 1 tsp oregano, lower the heat to medium-low, and let cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir often.
- To serve, grab a handful of tortilla chips and crunch them up a bit as you place them on a plate. place a handful of romaine on top, then a couple spoonfuls of the soyrizo mixture. Next add some drained black beans, the top with salsa, cilantro, and the optional sour cream and cheese. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
I like the Organic Soyrizo from El Burrito. It’s both vegan & gluten free!