Are you guys ready for Superbowl Sunday?! We (shock!) aren’t big football fans. Not that we don’t like it, we just don’t have the time. When we both work full time and AJ’s got 3 cars to work on and I’ve got this blog and we still like to exercise as much as possible, well, we just don’t find the tome to watch any TV. We don’t even have cable!
All that aside, I know the Superbowl is a big deal. When I was growing up my parents used to have a big (50ish people, if I remember correctly) party with a score-guessing game and lots of food and a really big TV. It was fun! I don’t believe they do it anymore, but my sister is certainly carrying on the tradition – she’s a big game fan. So, I know how important it is to have amazingly tasty but finger-food-approved food around. And I’m here to help!
Last week I showed you guys the Vegan Jalapeno Poppers, which are super amazing and you should definitely make for the Superbowl. They are perfect for snacking. Then on Monday I gave you a Soyrizo Taco Salad, which Dani mentioned would make a great party meal – a make your own taco salad bar! And today? Today is breadsticks. No-Knead Italian Breadstick Twists, to be exact.
I know everyone goes for the chips & salsa at parties, and they are totally correct in doing so. Chips & salsa are amazing. BUT! If you really want to wow your guests (but not really work that hard), this breadstick recipe is it. Just look at them! The process, however, is super simple – you just need a bit of planning ahead. Simply mix the dough together in a large bowl, then let it sit for about 90 minutes. Then roll it out, spread some butter and herbs across the top, slice into strips, and twist ’em up. Then into the oven they go for 25 minutes, and you’re done! I know making bread, and especially breadsticks, can seem daunting, but it really doesn’t get any easier than this. It also doesn’t get much more delicious!
I decided to use some authentic Italian semolina flour for these, which gives them that pretty yellow hue and a nice subtle flavor. You can find it at most well-stocked grocery stores and definitely at natural foods stores. I use it in all my pizza doughs, Italian-style breads, and definitely in breadsticks.
These are best served with a bit of warm marinara sauce, so stock up on your favorite flavor because these are going to go like hotcakes. And the best part? All your Superbowl buddies will love you for it!
No-Knead Italian Breadstick Twists (v)
A delicious and easy recipe for no-knead Italian breadsticks. Perfect for a party, a gathering, or just for dinner. These super versatile and are a great compliment to pasta, lasagna, or soup!
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 15 breadsticks
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dry Italian herbs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Combine the flours in a large bowl. Mix in the salt, then separately mix in the yeast and sugar. Pour the warm water and the olive oil into the bowl and mix everything together using a dough whisk or a large spoon. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm spot for about 90 minutes, or until the dough has become very puffy and about doubled in size.
- Heat the oven to 375ºF. Cover a baking sheet with parchment, then sprinkle with a bit of semolina flour.
- Lightly flour a large wooden cutting board and scrape the dough out of the bowl and onto the board. Give it just a few kneads to bring it together. Let the dough relax for about 10 minutes, then roll it out into an 8×12″ rectangle.
- Melt the butter, then use a pastry brush to distribute it evenly across the surface of the dough. Sprinkle the garlic powder and the Italian herbs over the surface. Cut the dough into 1″ wide strips and roll into twists, as shown.
- Place the twists on the semolina-sprinkled baking sheet about 1 1/2″ apart. Bake 25-30 minutes, rotating halfway through, until golden brown. Serve immediately with some warm marinara sauce. Enjoy!