I didn’t discover soba noodles until just recently, maybe with the last year. In fact, I think one of the first recipes I made with them was Cookie & Kate’s Peanut-Sesame Slaw (super amazing, by the way). Right then and there I fell in love with the little buckwheat noodles (and Kate’s blog), and I’ve been using them ever since.
This recipe is super simple, but really satisfying. It came about for two reasons: 1) we had a bit of an oven emergency this weekend, where the door fell off (not shown in the picture, but the door did in fact fall completely off) while I was trying to make some lemon muffins for you guys. And 2) because we’ve been having a record heat wave here and the last thing I wanted to do was stand over the stove and cook.
So I dug through the fridge to see what we could find, threw it all together on the BBQ and pressed go.
Some of these veggies I’ve never BBQ’d before, but I was really pleased with the results. The snow peas all got a bit charred on their tips, but I kind of like them that way. If you want to avoid any charring, just add them about halfway through cooking. I was also a bit worried about the carrots not cooking enough, but they were actually quite perfect – still a bit crunchy, but cooked enough to make them fit with the rest of the dish.
I also added some toasted pine nuts to round out the flavors. I’m SO glad I did, and I’m so glad I took the time to toast them before adding them to the salad. I think they were my favorite part. They kind of fell to the bottom as I ate my portion, which meant that the last few bites were full of amazing toasty-pinenutty-ness, which was amazing.
I used a super simple dressing of just lemon and olive oil, but if you want to make it fancier go ahead and use something else, like my Red Wine Vinaigrette. Whatever you do, make this salad. It makes the perfect summertime meal for cooking out on the Barbie (as my dad likes to call it).
Grilled Veggie & Soba Noodle Salad
A quick and easy summertime BBQ recipe with grilled veggies, soba noodles, and toasted pine nuts. Perfect for a hot & lazy summer day!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Dinner
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 white onion. sliced
- 2-3 cups snow peas (a few handfuls)
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 6 oz dry soba noodles
- Preheat the barbecue while you prep your veggies. Toss them into a basket for the BBQ and drizzle with 2 Tbsp of the olive oil. Add the salt and a bunch of freshly ground pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- While the veggies cook, boil some water and cook the soba noodles according to package directions.
- While those cook, toast your pine nuts. Place them in a heavy-bottomed pan and set over med-high heat. Cook stirring constantly for a few minutes, until they become fragrant and just the slightest golden brown. Remove them from the pan onto a small bowl or plate.
- When the noodles and veggies are done cooking, Combine them with the pine nuts in a large bowl. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and squeeze the lemon on top. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Eat immediately, or cold as leftovers!