Green Beans & Soba Noodles with Crispy Shallots
Salt & pepper green beans pair with crispy fried shallots and toasted pine nuts for a delicious vegetarian and vegan side dish.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 5 oz soba noodles
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 2 shallots, sliced and rings separated
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- canola oil for frying
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook soba noodles according to package instructions, then toss with about a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the green beans and cook, tossing every now and then, until the beans are lightly charred all over, about 10 minutes.
- While the green beans cook, place the pine nuts in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant and just starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Peel and cut the shallots into 1/4″ slices. Separate the rounds with your fingers, then toss with the cornstarch and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Heat about 1/2″ of canola oil in a medium skillet over medium heat (I used the same skillet that I used for the pine nuts). Add the shallots with a fork – they should sizzle when added and while cooking, but shouldn’t pop or splatter much. Cook until deep golden brown and crispy, then remove with a slotted spoon to a plate to cool.
- Finally, assemble the dish with the noodles on the bottom, topped with the green beans, shallots, and pine nuts. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, then squeeze a lemon on top. Enjoy immediately!
– If you are gluten free, be sure to use gluten free soba noodles.