Alright, here we go. Are you guys ready to get your Thanksgiving on?? I sure am.
This year, I’m focusing on a totally vegan Thanksgiving menu so that everyone can enjoy the meal. And plus, I think it’s the healthier way to go. Not that Thanksgiving is all about being healthy or anything….. definitely not. But I’ll take some healthy anywhere I can get it!
What Thanksgiving is about is making a giant, delicious meal that everyone in your family can enjoy – including yourself. If you’re the cook, making sure everything is hot & ready on time can be a big – and stressful – task. To make it easier on you, some of these recipes coming up will take some shortcuts to make them a bit more accessible.
Take, for instance, this stuffing!
Like many of my recipes, my inspiration came from my mother in law, who makes the tastiest stuffing I’ve ever had. She uses the Mrs. Cubbison’s boxed stuffing base and it’s amazingly good. (I found out after making this that she uses the cornbread variety – so if you want to give that a go then let me know how it turns out!)
The recipe on the box calls for a half cup of butter and not nearly enough veggies. So instead, I used a 1/4 cup of olive oil, then made up for the lost moisture with an extra 1/4 cup of broth. I doubled the veggies, added a bunch of sliced mushrooms, and used some veggie sausages to round it out.
And it turned out soo good! Not quite as good as Kathy makes it, but that might just be because food always tastes better when you don’t have to make it. 😜
Easy Vegan Stuffing
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 large stalks celery, sliced into 1/4″ pieces
- 12 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 veggie sausages,* sliced into 1/4″ half moons
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (or 1 Tbsp fresh)
- 1/4 tsp dried sage powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 box Mrs. Cubbison’s Cube Stuffing
- 1 3/4 cup veggie broth*
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease a 9×13″ casserole dish.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onion, celery, mushrooms, and veggie sausage. Cook, stirring often, until everything is lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and let cook for about 30 seconds, then stir in the spices. Remove from the heat.
- Empty the cubes into the casserole dish and add the veggies on top. Pour the veggie broth over everything, then use a spatula or large spoon to mix everything together. If you don’t mind getting another dish dirty, this might be easier to do in a large bowl.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil, then bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until it’s a bit crispy on top. Enjoy immediately!
– I like the Tofurky Italian sausages or the Trader Joe’s Veggie Sausages (TJ’s are not vegan)
– Make sure to use a veggie broth that you know you like. I like the O Organics brand, but it’s only available at Vons/Safeway.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS:
You can prep this 3 days ahead of time by cooking all the veggies and then refrigerating until you are ready to use them.
Pinnable image below: