So I know I promised these to you last week, but it never happened. You know how life kinda just gets in the way some time? The Cashew Cream Caramels I made (which were pretty incredible, if you missed ’em) have just been sitting in the freezer looking at me. When I finally had the time to deal with them, I couldn’t decide what to do. Caramel brownies? Too hot. Caramel ice cream? Too much of a risk.. if it doesn’t turn out well all my precious caramels are gone. Chocolate & Marshmallow Covered Caramels? Perfect way to spotlight the caramels, but wrap them in ever-more-amazing chocolate and marshmallow blanket. Better late than never, right?
AJ and I had a really great but super exhausting weekend. We were watching our friends’ dogs for a few days and man, three dogs in one house is quite the adventure. All you with 3 dogs or, much less, 3 kids have my greatest respect. The dogs were great – they were completely and entirely worn out from playing too much by the second day. Thankfully all the exhaustion led to a couple nights of good sleep – for both us and the dogs.
We also did a lot of food making and eating, a great bike ride where we found a new trail (!!) in Irish Hills, and a motorcycle ride up to Paso where we found some lunch at a place called Artisan. It was the first time we’d been there, and I was really impressed. They focus on local, sustainable food and had a wide variety of vegetarian options. I ended up ordering a red quinoa dish with fresh heirloom tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, bell pepper, and pea sprouts. It was quite good. Afterward, we finished up our ride by heading back down the coast. It was very nice; I really enjoy hanging off the back of the bike. It might actually be one of my favorite things to do on the weekend.
So these candies. I will warn you, this is not a super clean & tidy process. Be prepared to cover your kitchen with smears of chocolate and make yourself sick from eating too much sugar. But it’s all good & worth it because, c’mon – they’re chocolate & marshmallow covered caramels. Really, I don’t think it gets much better than that. Aside from a motorcycle ride. But we can’t sneak those out of the fridge whenever we feel like it, so caramels it is.
An easy recipe for chocolate & marshmallow covered caramels. A great way to use up those Cashew Cream Caramels you made a while ago! If you have any left, that is ;)
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup (3 oz) chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cup (2 oz) mini marshmallows
- 3 tsp coconut oil, divided
- 2 oz (about 1/3 cup, or 6 tootsie-roll sized [?] pieces) Cashew Cream Caramels
- Add 1 tsp water and the marshmallows to a medium bowl and mix well. Melt the marshmallows in 10-second intervals, stirring between each, until the marshmallows are fully melted. This should take less than 1 minute. Stir in 2 tsp of the coconut oil.
- Cut the caramels into bite-sized pieces (the exact size is up to you!). One-by-one, take each piece of caramel and dunk it in the melted marshmallow mix, turning it around until it is completely covered. Place on a piece of greased parchment. Repeat until you run out of either caramels or marshmallow, or both.
- Place the marshmallow-covered caramels in the fridge for at least 15 minutes to harden.
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Melt in the microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring well between each interval, until the chocolate is completely melted. This should take no longer than 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tsp of coconut oil and mix well. Allow to cool enough so that you can handle it without burning yourself, about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove one marshmallow-covered caramel from the parchment (you may have to peel it off a bit) and dip it in the chocolate. Turn it about until it is fully covered, then place on a new sheet of parchment. Repeat with all the caramels, then refrigerate for 15 minutes to harden. These are best stored in the fridge, as they tend to melt at room temperature. Enjoy!
-Find the caramels recipe at http://mycaliforniaroots.com/cashew-cream-caramels/