No joke, I searched high and low for these baby artichokes for 3 weeks before I found them.
For the three weeks prior to my searching I had seem tables of them piled high at the Farmers Market, but didn’t purchase any, always putting it off for another week. Then when they finally made it onto my weekly menu, they were nowhere to be found! Three weeks I put them on the menu hoping to find some, but failing. Not even Whole Foods pulled through.
But then, the week I gave up and removed them from the menu plan, there they were again, a whole table just full of them. I bought them right then and there, and it was a good thing I did. These Balsamic Marinated Grilled Baby Artichokes are to die for.
Turning the above ^^ into the below is actually pretty darn easy. Just cut your baby ‘chokes in half, then toss them with a balsamic marinade. There’s no need to remove the poky parts because they haven;t formed yet when the vegetable is this young. It’s great!
You let them marinate for about an hour, then pop ’em on the grill for about 7 minutes per side (keep a close eye, though – you don’t want them getting too burnt) ((AJ burned some of these)).
And then they’re done. Totally easy enough for a weeknight, if you ask me.
Eating these guys is kind of like eating a regular artichoke, but doing it all at once. Instead of taking individual leaves and eating the bottom portion of the leaf, you instead just eat the whole bottom portion of the artichoke. Bite down about halfway up the choke and pull the tough upper leaves away like you normally would.
The balsamic marinade gives these a sweet, tangy flavor that is SO GOOD. Paired with the smokyness from the grill these have a super complex, deluxe flavor that I would eat any day.
I paired these balsamic grilled artichokes with some warm brown rice and a sprinkling of feta cheese. The cheese is definitely not necessary, but if you have never tried brown rice and feta cheese I’d highly recommend giving it a go. Crazy weird combo that is actually really delicious. Let me know how you like it.
Balsamic Grilled Artichokes
These Balsamic Grilled Baby Artichokes are the ultimate summer food. Sweet, tangy, and smoky, you will LOVE these.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- 8 baby artichokes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp salt
- freshly cooked brown rice
- fresh thyme
- feta cheese (optional)
- Combine the olive oil, balsamic, mustard, and salt. Shake or stir to combine.
- Cut the artichokes in half and place in a gallon zip top bag. Add the balsamic mixture, press most of the air out the the bag, and seal. Toss to distribute the dressing evenly. Let marinate 1 hour.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Place the artichokes cut-side up and cook until lightly charred, about 7 minutes. Flip and cook until the underside us lightly charred, another 7 minutes or so.
- Serve over cooked brown rice topped with feta cheese and fresh thyme.
- To eat, peel the bottom most leaves off the back side of the artichoke half, then bite off the entire bottom portion of the artichoke. you’ll be left with the inedible tops left in your fingers. This is a messy meal – have napkins close at hand.