AJ\’s Easy (vegetarian) Stir-Fry
An easy peasy stir fry perfect for busy weeknights. Cooking up in under a half hour, this meal will satisfy everyone! My favorite stir-fry sauce (made from much trial and error!) smothers all the crisp-tender veggies.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Dinner
- 1 cup uncooked white or brown rice*
For the veggies:
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 5 small heads baby bok choy, leaves separated
- 2 small heads (or 1 large) broccoli, broken up into bite-sized florets
For the sauce:
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce*
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Start the rice first and cook according to package directions. If you are cooking white rice it’ll take about 20 minutes; brown rice will take 45-60 minutes.
- Place a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp sesame oil and let warm for 30 seconds or so. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook, tossing often, 4-5 minutes until beginning to brown. Add the broccoli and bok choy and continue to cook until crisp-tender, another 5-7 minutes.
- While the veggies cook, mix the sauce ingredients together. When the veggies are just about done, pour the sauce over (make sure you stir it very well first so the cornstarch doesn’t get stuck to the bottom) and cook for another 45 seconds or so. It should thicken a bit. Remove from the heat and let sit a couple minutes to let the sauce thicken a bit more.
- Serve over the cooked rice and enjoy!
– If you are serving to 4 people increase the rice to 1 1/2 cups and cook according to manufacture directions.
– Use tamari instead of soy sauce if gluten free.